Monday, September 29, 2008

Proposition 8

I know this is post is all little out of the ordinary for my blog, but I hope you'll indulge me as this is something that I feel strongly about. For those of you unfamiliar with Prop. 8 it is a proposition to amend the California Constitution in a way that would define marriage as only between a "man and a woman." Because of a recent California Supreme Court decision, gay couples are currently able to be "married" in California, as opposed to simply being able to register as "domestic partners." Many people take the position that allowing gays to marry each other won't affect anyone else. Unfortunately this just isn't true. If "marriage" between two people of the same gender is recognized as valid, religious organizations could be forced to choose between performing same-gender marriages or refusing to do so and losing their tax exempt status. Religious institutions (schools, adoption agencies) might have to allow for gay housing and gay adoption. Children would also be required to learn about heterosexual and homosexual couples starting in kindergarten. http://www.wnd.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=70590

That is not okay with me. Is it not permissible for us as a society to say, "No, this is wrong. Some things are not okay."? We may be afraid to offend, but let's get real here...our society is heading south fast, by making the same mistakes that has led to the downfall of numerous societies in the past, and I don't want to be someone who was too afraid to say anything. This lifestyle is not okay. I try to love everyone and I have family members who have chosen this lifestyle. They are wonderful people but their actions aren't okay. The family is failing. Anyone who doesn't recognize that, as a general matter, families do better with a father and a mother, is fooling himself. Men and women are different and that's okay. We bring different characteristics to the table. We teach, we love, we discipline differently. Above all else, our children are the ones who will suffer if Prop. 8 doesn't pass....they deserve to have a father and a mother. Marriage isn't a union just to satisfy the needs of the human body or mind it is a union to bring children into this world.

I'm grateful to belong to a church that upholds marriage and its definition. I'm grateful for the work of so many people on behalf of Prop. 8. Our stake and many other California stakes are fasting on Oct. 12 to plead to our Father in Heaven to have this amendment pass. Please take part in this fast with us and we will be strengthened. Pray for those who are confused and believe that who other people are allowed to marry won't affect them. Pray for those on the opposing side that they might understand our point-of-view. We need all the help we can get.

5 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Thanks Katie for this post. Prop 8 is very important and California will lead the way for the rest of the country so if you are sitting in Utah or Vermont or where-ever it matters to you too. I will join my prayers with the California Mormons on October 12 as well. Sure love you and thanks for being so bold and brave!

karin said...

Very nicely put.
I hope others will fast too. I need to be a reminder for Bryan, since he is the only one in our house that can fast.

tawni said...

I told Nate if this passes we are in so much trouble. I told him he can finally have his way and we can move to Mexico. Someone told me about this new observance day that just passed here in California called Harvey Milk day? Its going to be on May 22nd (?) and its a day our children in public schools will now observe if Gov Schwarzenegger signs it (and he will). What is happening?? Read on this day. Im so upset. MY RIGHTS are being taken away from me now!

Abby said...

Good job...I have been having a really hard time with all of this and it wasn't until I started really praying and reading about it that I am realizing JUST how important this is...and thanks for the great insight from a Mommy's point of view, I think that gets lost on people sometimes.

Ashlee said...

Katie,
I think it was a great idea to post about Prop 8 and take a stand. You inspired me to do the same. Thanks!