Monday, December 22, 2008

Traditions

I love Christmas traditions. They remind me of my childhood and I love thinking that my kids will cherish these times in our home. Here are some of our Christmas traditions...new and old.

1. Build a gingerbread house. We did this when I was growing up and I love doing it with my kids.



2. Hang the Christmas cards we receive on our front door. This started in our apartment in Los Angeles and has carried with us. Our door is almost full, we may have to start using other doors in our house.



3. Read the boots (it doesn't have a name) story on Christmas Eve. Joey brought this tradition to our marriage. When we aren't with his family for Christmas they call us when they read it and we listen from wherever we are and it always makes me cry.

4. Get PJ's from Santa. Joey and I both got new PJ's from Santa growing up. I remember waking up when it was still dark outside on Christmas morning and seeing my new pajamas next to my bed. I would change as fast as I could into the new PJ's and run to my siblings rooms to wake them up. I'm the youngest so I was the annoying little sister that woke everyone up.

5. Open one present on Christmas Eve. Again, we both brought this tradition to our marriage. In my family, we would usually open our sibling exchange gift on Christmas Eve.



6. Ham, peas, scalloped potatoes and crescent rolls. This is a must have for Joey on Christmas Eve, and then we have the leftovers on Christmas Day.

7. This year I'm attempting to make homemade cinnamon rolls for Christmas Day morning. This may or may not be a new tradition, depending on how they turn out!

8. In our stake they do a live nativity, and it was the such a beautiful reminder of the true meaning of this season. This is going to be an annual tradition for our family.

9. On Christmas Eve we watch "How the Grinch Stole Christmas", read from the Bible, then put the kiddos off to bed. After the little ones are snug in their beds, Joey and I watch "It's a Wonderful Life" and now that we have a fireplace we will get to watch our Christmas movies by the crackling fire with some hot cocoa!



What are some of your favorite traditions??

3 comments:

Abby said...

I love your traditions. They are very cute. We have a few of the same. I may have to do a post like this! Oh and I was totally going to do the cinnamon roll thing. But since we are going out to Temecula I decided pilsbury would be fine. Maybe next year!

karin said...

I LOVE traditions.
We have so many traditions it is a little ridiculous. We get new jammies to wear on Christmas Eve, we have Mexican Fiesta with my family on Christmas Eve, we reenact the Nativity, we have cinnamon rolls (my mom makes them, but I guess I might have to start making them). There are so many more (I deleted my novel) maybe I should do my posting about this.

Elizabeth said...

I love remembering all the fun things we did as kids. And you did not annoy us ... much :) when you woke us up early. Remember when we got locked in my room. I think mom and dad did it on purpose...

We made gingerbread houses this year too. Merry Christmas!