Friday, February 24, 2012

30 in 26

When I was little I wanted to be one of two things...either a hairdresser or a checker (a cashier, but I called it a "checker"). I did anyone and everyone's hair and the proof is in the picture of me doing my Grandpa Hymas' hair.


We lived in a small town in Idaho and my dad's cousin owned the grocery store in town and every time we went to buy groceries, my dad's cousin would let me use the cash register. I had a taste of being a "checker" and I loved it. I remember asking for a "real cash register" for Christmas for years. I got a cool calculator that could print paper receipts and that should have been good enough, and it was for a while, but then a girl down the street, who was an only child, got a real cash register for her birthday and it made my calculator look a little sad.

So now at 29 years old, I have been a "checker" at many of my jobs in high school and college and I'm a hairdresser each day to 4 young children. I may not have those dream jobs of my 5-year-old self but I do have the best job...being a mom:)

3 comments:

Susan Hymas said...

I love that picture of you and Grandpa :) My dad always loved to have us brush his hair like that when we were little, he said that it was one of Grandpa's favorite things too.

You have beautiful kids Katie :)

Dede said...

I remember that so very well. I loved having you do my hair. And your kids hair always looks great.

Elizabeth said...

I remember you loved hair. I didn't let you do mine very often because I am a wimp. Sam loves to brush my hair and whenever he does it reminds me of you :)