Tuesday, February 21, 2012

30 in 29

Countdown to "30"- T-minus 29 days!

When I was a little girl I was such a "Momma's Girl". I loved being with my mom and made her sacrifice a lot to make sure she was close to me.



I remember there being a street and a large field that I had to walk across in order to get to Hillview Elementary in Ammon, Idaho. My mom would send me off (most days with Kipp) and we would walk together to school then, when we got there, I would turn right back around and head home. She would find me playing in the backyard but it's just because I wanted to be close to her. She eventually found a volunteer position in the school office so I could go see her anytime.



I also remember I couldn't fall asleep unless she was right next to my bed. She would sit in a big, ugly yellow chair and stick her feet under my covers so I could make sure she stayed until I fell into a deep sleep. She always brought a book and read for a few minutes until she could sneak her feet out from under my covers and tip-toe out of my room. FYI- this stopped when I was 7 years old, so please don't worry!


When I as 17 years old, my parents moved to Japan and I stayed in the States to finish high school. Boy was it hard! Even though I was a teenager and I thought I didn't NEED my mom anymore, I was wrong. I missed her like crazy.

I'm grateful she has been able to help me after every one of my children's births. I'm grateful that my parents don't live in Japan anymore but Florida is still too far away! I wish we could have Thanksgivings together and run errands for each other. I wish I could just see her more.

So my lesson learned is that I love being a mom. I love my children more than life itself. I love that they need me cause I need them too. They fill my heart with so much joy. I've decided they are worth "sticking my feet under the covers for" and "working at the school even if I don't have to".

8 comments:

Susan Hymas said...

You have an absolutely amazing mama! I will probably never be able to express just how much your parents have meant to me through out my life. Your mom always seems to know just when I really need an email that says nothing but I love you and am thinking about you. I am really grateful for your family Katie. All of you. <3

Dede said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dede said...

I always wanted to be a mom and I had the pleasure of having the most awesome children in the universe. Wish I could write like you and Liz but that gift wasn't given to me. Love you forever and a day.

Dede said...

PS. Love reading about you. It brings such wonderful memories to me. Again I loved being a mom.

betsey said...

What a great mom! I love all the pictures of you and her. I love that she took a job at the school to be with you all. Made me grateful that I get to be a mom to my kids. Thanks so much for sharing this, Katie!

Susan Hymas said...

The first picture on here of you and your mom.. looks just like you and Hayden. I thought for sure it was you until I started reading the post.

Elizabeth said...

I would like to beg to differ that the whole mom-in-your-room-when-you-went-to-sleep-thing ended when you were seven but I won't say when I think it ended LOL LOVE YOU! We do have a pretty rockin' awesome mom!

Susan Hymas said...

I keep going back and looking through these posts and your pictures. I've really enjoyed them :) You know my dad had to do the same thing with Mark jr for a long time too. There was a time when I had moved back home form Colorado and Mark was about 3 and I was sharing his room with him, and I couldn't go to bed at night until after my dad got Mark to sleep. Most nights though, my dad would fall asleep before Mark and Mark would sneak out and find some quiet part of the house to play or sneak out the back patio and swim in this wading pool. :)