Saturday, March 3, 2012

30 in 18

Growing up I thought we had the "perfect" family. A mom, a dad, two boys and two girls. Here are the kids in all our glory: Elizabeth Ann, Brennan Marlowe, Kipp Richard and Katie Ruth.





I don't know when I was told that I had an older brother that passed away before I was born. His name was Spencer Dee Wood and he died when he was 6 months old from SIDS. He died on my parents anniversary, just 6 days before Christmas. I never thought I could be sad about him (not because my parents said I couldn't, but because I didn't know him). Then I met a friend who lost her son in a sledding accident just 4 years ago. Talking to her I better realized the pain my parents went through. Talking to her I realized that, to my parents, Spencer is still a very integral part of our family. Talking to her I realized that I also experienced a loss. It was very different for me because I never knew him but our family misses him because he was supposed to be a part of our family and we love him and we want to see him again. Last year I made a book for my mom about Spencer. I talked to family members and got stories of memories they had of this little boy. It was an amazing experience and I'm grateful I got to know Spencer a little better.

Isn't he beautiful? This is my favorite picture of him!


I am so grateful for eternal families. I know we can be together again. I know my children are mine for eternity. I don't think this feeling called "love" could exist without a God who intended for us to be together again. This love we have for one another didn't just happen when the universe came to be. It's not made up. That just doesn't make sense. This love has existed forever and will continue to exist forever. I don't know much. I feel like in the gospel of Jesus Christ I am still learning and figuring it out but what I do know is that this unit we call a family is eternal. If we do our best and live this life in the best way we know, we can be together again. This keeps me going. I want to see Spencer Dee again and I want to be with Joey and my children forever.

8 comments:

Dede said...

Katie, you have such a wonderful way with words. I do believe you knew Spencer though. Both you and Kipp seemed to know him so I think you knew him. I believe all that you said about love and God and that there is a wonderful plan in place. Love you so much and your dear family. You are my treasures beyond wealth. I have the most awesome children and grandchildren in the universe.

Karolyn said...

I have loved reading your posts about your family growing up. You were such a darling little girl, and I see so much of your kids in you. I love that now you have a little boy named Spencer. I remember that you named him after your brother.

Susan Hymas said...

You are amazing Katie. I want you to know how much you inspire me. Sure do love you!

Dianne said...

What a beautiful post! I have to admit that I teared up a bit as I was reading it. I love you dear Katie. You are a beautiful person inside and out. And I love your darling little family too.

Dianne said...

What a beautiful post! I have to admit that I teared up a bit as I was reading it. I love you dear Katie. You are a beautiful person inside and out. And I love your darling little family too.

Dianne said...

What a beautiful post! I have to admit that I teared up a bit as I was reading it. I love you dear Katie. You are a beautiful person inside and out. And I love your darling little family too.

Elizabeth said...

Katie thanks for the memories. I love reading about you and really me since I was there all along LOL. I love Spence and I know he loves you and your kids. Thanks for doing this Katie!!!

Susan Hymas said...

I remember my dad telling me about Spencer and when I was younger, I had this thing about knowing all of my cousins birthdays.. I thought I would try to send birthday cards or something to everyone.. I was ambitious in my thoughts but never actually motivated to really write or send birthday cards to everyone... but I do remember making sure that I knew when Spencer's birthday was as well. I'm not sure I've ever seen a picture of him until now. Thanks for sharing. <3